Friday, December 18, 2015

Just a thought

Soapbox incoming:
There are so many problems in the world that we have to struggle with.  From violence to natural disasters to injustice to poverty, there is an endless list of things to make life harder. Don't make yourself part of that list.
I think that one large stumbling block that so many women have to work to overcome is the tendency to try to turn themselves into men. I don't mean physically, and even mentally I think most people would not even realise that it was happening. But as human beings, we are shaped by our surroundings. And our surroundings, from every direction, scream at us that men are superior, that they are worth more, that they can do more, that being a woman is a weakness instead of a stregnth.
But that is where they are wrong. It is most definitely a stregnth. And I firmly and whole-heartedly believe that each and every woman is strong enough to fight the daily torrent of down-putting responses each and every day, we are strong enough to push past that, to look at ourselves and say, "I am me. And that's okay. In fact, that is not okay- it is great. I will keep being me."

No comments:

Post a Comment